Monday 29 August 2011

Plot holes.

I have plot holes. Much like potholes, they lead for a bumpy ride. So I have written a plot outline for a film and my lecturer has given feedback that 'this is heading in a very positive direction.' He unfortunately also pointed out two major holes in the plot, which I was aware of but was trying to ignore in the hope that anyone reading the script would be stupid. Alas my plan has failed and so I have some hole mending to do before I write my treatment. And as everything is usually intertwined in a film this means pulling everything apart and starting again.

Meanwhile it is a public holiday here and I am sitting in my grey London flat. Lots of my friends are off sunning themselves around Europe but no I am not bitter, because while I have my plot holes and negative bank balance, I also have grapes, a bathroom light that is now working again and I am wearing a hat. So now I must write. But first here are some creative ideas that I like:

1: This one sold me a song. 


Watching New Zealander Liam Finn perform at XOYO, London.
2: This one sold me an event. 
Long copy for an Adidas London Olympics advertisement currently in London Undergrounds.

You don’t know me. You don’t know anything about me. You don’t know what i’m made of or just how much I’m capable of. You don’t know where i’ve come from nor where I’m heading. You know nothing of my highs or my lows. You don’t know how fast I am, how strong I am, how resilient I am. You haven’t got a clue what breakfast cereal I eat, what fragrance I wear or who I’m dating. You don’t even know my name. But you will.

Background to this advertisement being made.  

3: This one made me cry. 
Not long ago I signed up to the Facebook group for The Cool Hunter. It is a great news feed and website full of inspiring photos, quotes and videos. A good one for procrastinating. The visual statements photo album is particularly good. Here is some good copy from one of the statements:

"It is not the goodbye that hurts, but the flashbacks that follow."

A while back the following video came through on The Cool Hunter Facebook feed and I started to well up at my desk.


I couldn't watch until the end incase it led to full blown sobbing. A few hours later I took some deep breathes and skimmed through the ending with one eye shut. This comment I saw sums up my reaction "is someone cutting onions around here?" 45 people liked that comment. Although I just saw someone's comment ask "how would he hear the thud?" Damn hole hunters!

4. And this little piggy made me want to get me and my hat out of here!


Cheers to creativity and those who endure the bumps along the road. 

4 comments:

  1. Argh... that video got me! I thought I was doing fine until three quarters of the way through. It struck a chord with me as my father, who is no longer with us, was born a deaf-mute (I've always loathed the term 'deaf and dumb'), so realising the father character was the one who couldn't speak/hear, and not the daughter as I initially thought, really got to me.

    Powerful stuff. There's no shame in crying - you got me doing it, damn you! ;)

    Great blog, looking forward to reading much more as time goes on.

    Kind regards,

    Mark ED

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Mark, this video is very close to home for you! Thanks for the kind comments even though I made you cry too.

    ReplyDelete