Monday 22 August 2011

The Tree of Life - the aftermath.

There was much anticipation leading up to seeing The Tree of Life. Friends had warned of numerous people walking out and even shared tales of how they had fallen asleep. One review described how the audience did a joint nervous giggle at the end. To me that made it sound all the more interesting.

For those of you not familiar with the movie, here is the trailer:



So off I went to the movies to see it. I did see people walk out and I can imagine some people did fall asleep but I liked it! I think people who know me wouldn't find that much of a surprise though. I did discover what the nervous laugh is, it is that moment at the end when you turn to your friend, or your other half as in my case, and you know they hated the last two hours of their life and all that comes out of your mouth is a weird giggle thing as you try to calculate if they will punch you or vomit on you.

People I believe didn't like it because this movie makes you think and some people don't want that from a movie. And that is fine because there a plenty of movies that are just made to entertain, fit the genre and keep the audience happy.

I like many people didn't like how long the evolution/nature sequence was but my interpretation of that is that it was suppose to make you feel uncomfortable, and wake you up from just going through the motions of watching yet another movie. Sometimes people need a fright to appreciate/learn things.

Anyway here is a random brain dump of what I wrote down about an hour after watching the film.

If you work too hard, you'll miss all the things around you.

Why does Sean Penn have his break down at that age? What is going on at the beach? What does walking through the door mean?

What was the shot of the loft with the tall man and the boy in chair?

You can be the best person and bad things will still happen.

Babies are cute. 

Good people don't always win. 

Strict, perfectionist yet patents job looked fun. Nice house at the end.

Like the finale of Lost, so many questions? What did happen in Lost? Damn it! 

Reminds me of losing to the French in the Rugby World Cup and thinking 'wtf just happened?'

Grief, looking for answers.

Snapshots of life, cinematography. You see something you want to remember, blink really hard, replays.

Don’t know the characters names.

Makes me miss the country, the quiet life.

Republican voting Christians - did he grow up amongst that or is he guessing/researched. 

Was written and directed. Imagine if separate, trying to decipher the screenplay. Love to see the screenplay!

I thought I would be loved because I was successful.

So as you can see it will get your brain buzzing. In comparison I went and saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes. The only thing I was thinking after that movie was James Franco is hot, which I already knew. The best Russell could come up with was "why was the ape wearing pants?"

I do recommend The Tree of Life if you want something different. It will make you stop and take a look around, for the nearest exit for some or for others, life and all it has to offer.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I love the title of your blog. I'll try to again later, but right now I just wanted to pop in to let you know I left a "Liebster" award for you at my blog. Doralynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this looks amazing! I have to see it now...thanks for posting the trailer. ;o) xoxo

    ReplyDelete